Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reading Lessons

Reading came easily to Raina and Tyler, but has always been a struggle for Jason. As an avid reader myself, I often worried that without massive intervention, he'd never learn.

Over the last several years, I've done a lot of research on the brain and on reading. Most studies I've found have suggested that the normal range for learning to read is anywhere from age 4- age 12. Age 12?? Then why are we trying to force all kids to be able to read at age 6 if there brains might not even be ready to read until 8 or 10 or later?

Jason struggles- no doubt about it. But he has a huge advantage over his public school peers. He doesn't think he's stupid. He knows he has difficulties, and that his younger brother surpassed his reading ability years ago. But he never gives up. He tells me he's doing a good job trying. He also knows that other things come very easily to him- like compassion, sensitivity, kindness, making friends. He still chooses to pick up books to read, even though it can take hours to make it through one full page. He loves to cuddle up with me so I can read to him. His comprehension is advanced, and always has been. And now, at age 10 1/2, he's making real, concrete progress toward being able to read independently.

I think if I had forced a lot of intervention on him, he would have given up. My years in the public schools showed me far too many bright kids who gave up because they thought they were stupid. I don't want that to ever happen to my children.

Though I don't force curriculum on any of my kids, Jason and I did find an online reading program that he enjoys working on. It's called "Click n Read Phonics," and is supposed to be good for all sorts of kids, including kids with learning disabilities. Jason enjoys sitting at the kitchen table with my lap top to complete his lessons. He is proud of his own effort, and I'm proud of him for never giving up.

1 comment:

Amanda Torrey said...

I just wanted to add this wonderful quote, which was shared by another mom on a homeschooling yahoo group:

"Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid."
-Albert Einstein

How true is that??