Thursday, April 30, 2009

Our Day Trip To NH

Every day is truly a learning experience. My sister, Kerri, was just diagnosed with MS, and needed the support of her family. The kids and I decided to head up to Franconia so we could bring her to the doctor, and I was amazed at the learning that took place, despite the fact that there was no classroom in sight.
(Then again, I do believe that learning happens in our family BECAUSE there is no classroom! The world is our classroom, remember?)
We had discussions about autoimmune diseases, how MS is treated, what the steroid treatments feel like, etc. We practiced patience, and helping others. Tyler and Jason are very interested in rocks, and found some neat ones up in the White Mountains. Jason found some that make great worry stones. Tyler found some big ones that he was able to throw against some large boulders so they would break and he could look inside. They found sharp rocks that they continued to sharpen into "arrows" and "spears." The boys love to learn and practice ancient weaponry. (But they know the rules- no using the weapons against each other!) Raina was determined to see a moose, and we thought we had a good chance. The moose eluded us, but we did learn some things about them (good places to find them, why they like to be near the road sometimes, a little about rutting season, etc.) We are sure that we will see one up there eventually! Kerri showed us some fabulous pictures she had taken of a moose- up close and personal. (Kerri is a gifted nature photographer, and gets some great shots!)
We did some geography, too. Passed through Concord and saw the state building. Talked about how to get to Vermont, Maine, etc. Saw snow on the mountains and talked about why. Discussed the tourism industry and how it affects local economy.
We also discussed radio stations and why they need commercials, and why they don't always come in clearly in different places. I got to enjoy a glimpse into my kids' musical tastes, and what they like about certain songs.
We talked about goals for the future, and the different paths people can take to achieve them.
Raina and I had some great conversations about the advantages of homeschooling, too. She is so grateful to have this opportunity, and I am, as well. I learn more and more about my kids every day, and I'm so thankful to share in their learning and development.

No comments: